Subject: [Leica] RAW Examples
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Mon May 23 08:18:03 2005

At 10:18 PM 5/22/2005, I wrote:
  >If I can find the time, I'm going to put up a couple of photos to show
what you can do with raw.

O.K.  I took one of the photos from my trip to the Middle East and
processed the RAW file once for highlights and again for shadows and
combined the two in Photoshop to increase the dynamic range.  The first
photo shows the jpeg that was saved by the camera at the same time as the
RAW.  Keep in mind that all of these had to be converted to small jpegs for
the web.  The difference in the Tiffs resulting from the two conversions is
dramatic and the final Tiff histogram is smooth with no combs or artifacts
that would result if you tried to do the same thing using the
Shadow/Highlight adjustment on one Tiff file.  This is just one quick
example, but it's reason enough for me to save RAWs instead of only Tiffs
or Jpegs.  The RAW file is 10.5 MB and the Tiff is 47.9 MB - another reason
to archive RAW.

http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/why_raw

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com

Replies: Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica]Hello?)