Subject: [Leica] Leica R lenses on Canon Digital Bodies
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue May 24 03:18:17 2005

> The pros (PJs) I know went the Canon (or Nikon) route not because they
> didn't want to go the Leica (or any other brand) route, but because of
> the professional services offered by C or N. If I remember correctly,
> you could borrow/rent any lens (if available) and had your cameras
> serviced/repaired/replaced in almost no time. I also recall that many
> of the Canon/Nikon shooters also had a M with a 2/35. Some of the pros
> had their gear "given" by their agency.
>
> All the best from the south of France!
>
> Tarek

Loved you post here (that I snipped) Tarek but on this last point I think
pros use the gear in which it is perceived is "the gear to use". Credibility
being at the top of the list. When you're starting out you want to do what
the Romans do. Then you want to stay in the game.
I think you go out on a job you don't bring one body and expect some
helicopter to arrive from Nikon and drop down a spare if it conks out on
you.
You bring a second body. You bring a bag of bodies.
Then you bury them.

The rental thing has a thing to do with it.
The "gear of choice" tends to be the stuff that you can rent if you don't
have it or want to buy it. You can rent a 500mm or 15mm Canon or Nikon if
you want to. Leica might be trickier although last week they said there was
one guy.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon