Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica quality
From: FELIXMATURANA at telefonica.net (Félix López de Maturana)
Date: Wed May 25 10:56:43 2005

i've been hearing the comment a lot lately that the DSLR cameras are so
good, they're closing the gap on the "medium format" digital backs. i
also had a guy who needed to know if he could use the Canon (EOS1DsM2)
to repro paintings instead of coughing up for the 22mp Imacon or Leaf.

SO, i had to put this to rest by doing some comparisons.

the first thing i did was to shoot a painting and print it at full size.
it was 40" x 60", so i shot it and printed a 40" wide strip. i shot it
with the Canon, the H1 with the Imacon 22mp chip, and then the Imacon in
Micro-step (16-shot, effective 80mp) mode.

there's a BIG diffference. the Canon is ok, but doesn't have the
resolution, color accuracy or dynamic range to capture the nuance in a
painting (a pretty simple task, considering the dynamic range of paint).
the 22mp single shot looks good, and the microstep is astounding. we
used to talk about the difference in a nikon scanner, at 4000 "dpi" and
an imacon at 8000, and the description i liked was that, at 4000 you can
see the grain, at 8000 you can see the edges of the grain. it's much the
same with the painting. in 16-shot you can see the edges of the canvas
tooth. the range and color are heads over the Canon, too.

that was pretty much expected. the
ted-dillard-rule-of-chip-performance-and-high-speed-motosports holds
up... you want to go fast, you need horsepower and got to pay the money.

however, i've been hearing that the big-chip DSLRs are "good enough",
especially since a commercial shooter rarely prints over a double-page
spread. i've actually said that, too. so i wanted to compare and print
at 16x20 to see the difference in files, as printed, and well within the
comfort range of any of the cameras.

i shot the Nikon D2X, the Canon EOS1Ds, again the Imacon in single- shot
and microstep. (due respect to the Leaf Valeo 22, it's going to do about
the same as the imacon in single shot, and my V22 was out on a rental.
>AND, i don't want to hear squawks about not shooting with the Canon
>MARK2. even owners who have replaced their 1Ds with the 1Ds M2 at great
>expense have said, after all, there's not much diff.)
>
>i processed them as well as i could, trying to show each file in it's
>best light. i printed them on the 4000 at 16x20. the results were VERY
>interesting.
>
>FIRST, the Nikon and the Canon were VERY similar files, even looking
>close before the print. this was quite an eye-opener... i was not
>greatly impressed at first glance at the Nikon files, but, toe-to toe
>with Canon they hold their own. i even think they have more dynamic
>range and better color, but that ain't science talkin...
>
>NEXT, there's a BIG difference between the final prints. the best
>description i can make is the difference between an 8x10 print made with
>35mm film, 4x5, and an 8x10 contact print. the big chips give you more
>dynamic range, better color, better resolution, generally a richer, more
>vibrant print. the most interesting thing to me was the comparison
>between single and 16-shot with the 22mp chips... i would have thought
>you couldn't see the difference at 16x20, but it was astounding.
>
>wheeler... you remember when you were talking about doing some shooting
>with 2 1/4 back in the '90s and panned it? you had said that even at
>8x10, the 4x5 simply has more "data" than 2 1/4, and we laughed because
>it was such a perfect analogy. well, it still holds true.
>
>i get so carried away trying to find out how big you can push these
>cameras, i forget about what they can do small... it's just like making
>a contact print again. it's funny... all the prints look good, but when
>you put them side-by-side you see the clarity, richness and definition
>of the big chips. sort of like putting a selenium-toned print next to a
>non-toned print. you don't know what you're missing until you see it
>there. i guess its the same reason you and rantoul hump that big-assed
>8x10 all over god's green earth to make ART. (or is it ARTHUR?)
>
>that's it for me. off to see the PAW-SOX with a dozen 5th grade boys!
>woohoo!
>
>Ted Dillard
>EP Levine, Inc.
>EPL Digital
>23 Drydock Avenue
>Boston, MA.  02210
>----------------------------------

Very,very interesting test! I find out some direct conclusions:

a. Laws of physic do rule as bigger chips produce better images and a
Leaf Valeo 22 is better. I hardly can differ.
b. Mr.Dillard find however than a smaller chip like D2X has "more
dynamic range and better color, but ain't science talkin..." He has, oh
wonder!, discovered the "glow" in digital world...
c. Consequently a Leica Digital Back may have a smaller chip but we
cannot loose the hope it will be the best...

My  Cartesian mind will call this an emotional logical approach...or
perhaps a logical emotional approach!

Warm regards

Felix

Replies: Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Re: Leica quality)