Subject: [Leica] Some Beaulieu Repair Answers
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Thu May 26 14:14:24 2005

OK, LUG folks--
Here's the story.

I've been offered a number of resources in Europe by a variety of LUGgers.
Many thanks, but for the present I prefer to stick to North America.

For Super 8 Beaulieu, it's a bit easier to get US repairs.  These cameras,
which are now for the most part between 30 and 40 years old, have developed
quite a following among professional cinematographers, particular
experimental filmmakers and music-video makers.  There is one company on the
West Coast supplying professional NEGATIVE stock in Super 8 cartridges
(http://www.pro8mm.com) and they also seem to feature rebuilt Beaulieu
equipment.

One repair resource that kept cropping up on the net was
http://www.duallcamera.com/  They seemed to specialize in rebuilt Super 8
Beaulieu, and had those elusive (and generally reviled) Beaulieu proprietary
batteries.

My 1962 Regular 8 Beaulieu is off to a repair shop in Pittsburgh, PA, which
said that they could deal with a clockwork standard 8 camera.  That was
Camera Repair Service.  I'll keep you posted on MR8's progress.  I told them
not to bother with the built-in meter, which probably bit the dust before
the camera left Romorantin.

The fellow in the packing store commented on the camera's beautiful looks.

Best,
Jim Shulman
Bryn Mawr, PA