Subject: [Leica] AgfaPhoto filed for insolvency
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Fri May 27 07:58:13 2005

>German media "Der Spiegel" is reporting that AgfaPhoto has filed for
>insolvency due to running out of money:
>http://tinyurl.com/8sa9y

The article says it was not predictible that the suituation would go that
bad in such a short time. The 1800 employees all over Germany have been
informed by their management through an intranet announcement yesterday.

But production was still going on after this announcement, as, following to
representatives of the worker's council, this is a basic condition to keep
the working places. "We have been completely surprised by the announcement
of the insolvency proceeding", their head Bernhard Dykstra said.

The court of Cologne has decided today to open a provisorily proceeding.
870 of the 1800 employees are employed at the main factory in Leverkusen.
Other production plants are in Vaihingen near Stuttgart, Windhagen, Munich
und Peiting.

Belgian company Agfa Gevaert had sold the Film- and Fotopaper division last
novembre to a US-german investement group which founded AgfaPhoto GmbH.

Didier