Subject: [Leica] Leica and the KdF Car
From: msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small)
Date: Fri May 27 19:17:40 2005

At 03:52 PM 5/27/05 +0200, Douglas Sharp wrote:

>I'm sure there are plenty of us on the list who can fill you in on the
>history of Leica.

And there are some of us on the LUG who can fill you in on the details you
omit on the history of the Kdf-Wagen.  I have around 750,000 miles
(1,200.000km) piloting early air-cooled VW's around the roads of the US.
At one point, when a group of warrant officers were restoring a Kubelwagen
for the Ordnance Museum at the Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland, I was
callled in as a resident expert to explain to them the construction of the
25-hp motor and the care and maintenance of the 28 PC carb.  (The VW motor
remained essentially unchanged from its origin until 1960, an engine
designed to last, with routine service, for 200,000km (125,000 miles or so)
and, after a minor rebuild, for that length of service again.  The later
40hp engines were capable of far greater pwoer and led to the curent
excursus into the nitro powered ones we witness occasionally today.  But,
in the end, the basic VW engine was a winner and I still have a single such
engine in my basement, waiting that 1957 Van I want to use for camping.
Damn!)

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!