Subject: [Leica] Re:Second thoughts about digitals
From: lmc at interlink.es (Luis Miguel Castañeda)
Date: Sun May 29 04:33:38 2005

On 28 de may de 2005, at 23:58, B. D. Colen wrote:

> Actually, I'd bet that by then there will be services that can get all
> sorts
> of data off all sorts of "obsolete" storage media. ;-)

I'd not bet too high.
Some time ago, not so far away, we had the necessity to read the data
from an old and in his time highly expensive computer designed to last
forever with the account management whose data was stored in magnetic
tapes... well finally the data is there but unable to read it because
all the readers are out of order and we cant locate nobody with one in
working order. The printed book saved the boss arse :)

This computer has about 25 years, and we got problems, I dont want to
think about obsolete interfaces of 50 years ago. Of course it's a good
bussiness opportunity, but I wont bet too high for it.

PS: please dont understand this as an against-digital argument, just as
IT people related anecdote about the necessity of readable backups :)

Saludos
http://imaginarymagnitude.net/blog/