Subject: [Leica] OT: Anyone Else Watching History in the Making...
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sun May 29 17:07:33 2005

No longer on the radio? Ohhhhhh my. A part of my life is now gone.
Since I was 10 I used to listen to the 500 on the radio - riveted to
the broadcast, tears in my eyes when Eddie Sax was killed in the
terrible crash, slowly dying as Mario coasted to a stop at the end
when his turbine ran out of fuel (or died?) I remember the British
fellow who was an expert and had just about every fact and figure
memorized. The  reports from every turn - following the leader around
for the last lap.

And, of course, I remember some of the great races from the days of
television.

Sadly the quest for power by the open wheel racer folks here in North
America are slowly destroying the race. And while I watched CART I was
really an F1 fan even though the closest I ever got to a race was the
coverage in "Road and Track". This year I'm managed to find one on the
television and enjoyed it enormously. They must be insanely
sophisticated machines -- and the new rules are stressing a kind of
reliability I enjoy in that part of me that deeply appreciates complex
machinery.

I hate crowds, and traffic, so the chances of my ever going to an F1
or Indy car race are vanishingly small. But I still enjoy watching.

And I hate NASCAR with the same intensity that I do the NBA.

Do baseball and open wheel racing seem like a strange set of sports to
enjoy? Well, I like the submarine races, too. :)

Adam