Subject: [Leica] Re: cost of compuer included
From: Summicron1 at aol.com (Summicron1@aol.com)
Date: Mon May 30 08:21:26 2005

In a message dated 5/30/05 9:09:25 AM, lug-request@leica-users.org writes:

> When adding up the costs of going digital one most certainly has to add in
> the cost of the computer and all affiliated expenses and let's not forget
> the
> costs of updating the PC, printer and digital camera. It's part of the
> overhead. If you can depreciate it on your taxes, it's part of the
> cost--and that
> goes for professionals who will depreciate it and amateurs who cannot.
>
> doug nygren

very true -- i have a small digital camera i play with, but still shoot film
mostly, using 40-year-old leicas. I also have a negative scanner, but i'm
not
sure how much use it will be beyond scanning images to put into slide show
because I still like to make prints to mail to friends and display (11 by
14s,
fiber based b/w) and the best and cheapest way to do that is still the
darkroom,
where the $400 I paid for my Focomat Ic some 23 years ago has more than paid
for itself.

amazing is it not? Once upon a time $400 for a piece of photo equipment was
lot of money. Even $2,000 was, and when one spent that kind of money one
expected it to last for a very long time. Now people regularly spend double
that
for cameras that they know will drop in value like a rock and be bypassed by
technology in five years, or less.

I'm not surprised at the phenomenon so much as the change in mental attitude
that allow us to accept it so willingly.

c trentelman