Subject: [Leica] WW2 Leica production
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Tue May 31 08:01:31 2005

Marc writes:

<<
It IS odd that Emil would have given you one version of the tale and me
another, especially as he struck me as a very honest man.  It is even odder
that COL Nelson tells the tale the way I related it.  Though neither Keller
nor Nelson were eye-witnesses, Tink Ewald was there, in person, and told
the tale to me, and to others, on many occasions -- and Tink, incidentally,
was a founding member of the LHSA and remained a member until his death.
If you wish, I can put you in touch with his sons, who will simply tell you
the same story, with some embellishments which I have left out as being
unnecessary to the basic story.

No one denies that Else (again, please note the spelling) cycled out alone
to meet the US forces but her contact with them was some hours after Dumur
had flown the Swiss flag over the plant which had cauised the problem for
the advancing US forces. >>

=================

No argument. I was quoting exactly from Keller's book. Look it up. In
print he attributes the saving of Wetzlar to Else's convincing the
authorities not to resist and her contact with the advancing U.S.
forces. He spells Else as "Elise" and never mentions Dumur flying the
Swiss flag. I got that from other sources. It is my experience that many
war recollections, including my own, get embellished over the years and
after 50 years it is difficult to separate truth from imagination. If
you listen to my stories of the Korean War, you would think I fought it
single handed.

Larry Z