Subject: [Leica] Latest Leica News
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Tue May 31 15:51:42 2005

>Good news for those of us on the List that want to see Leica continue in
>business:
>http://www.leica-camera.com/unternehmen/presse/data/04454/index_e.html

The good news is that they got the 23 mio EUR they needed to avoid the
insolvence.

The bad news is that they still have no new strategy. Just a little bit
restructuring the production and distribution here, tightening the
inventory there, continue M and R, and some vague hints about the need of
cooperations in digital technology (after they recently cancelled the
collaboration with Panasonic).

The estimations for the business year 2006/07 are rather optimist ("goal of
a break-even result") - does anyone believe they're out of their minus in
two years? I'd love to believe it, but this remembers me the same
statements and promises Leica managers made in the early and late 90ies.

I'm not shure if the DMR sells that well. Other bestseller products will
not come over night. If the digital M will be delayed like the DMR (from
photokina in autumn to next summer), we'll not see it before june 2007.

So how Leica can do it? Still many questions remaining.

Didier