Subject: [Leica] Mary Ellen Mark on radio
From: bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Tue May 31 17:49:47 2005

It's really pretty awful when the likes of Eugene Richards has to do Nike
and Levi ads to be able to do documentary work - and MEM has to do the same
kind of thing. What is interesting though, about 10 years ago, when I was
Director of Communications at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, I needed to
select a photographer for a big project. The art director we were using
brought in a pile of photographers books for me to look at. One was Mary
Ellen Marks's, and it was really mundane commercial work. And then there was
Gene Richards' stuff - he didn't submit a traditional ' book' of commercial
work, but instead had sent copies of The Knife and Gun Club, and "Cocaine
Blue..." I'd never heard of Richards before, but told the AD then and there
to hire him for the job.