Subject: [Leica] First Camera
From: kapner at earthlink.net (Leonard J Kapner)
Date: Thu Jun 2 08:22:18 2005

My interest in photography started around seven years of age, when film
became plentiful again and my uncle brought his pre-war Rolleiflex out of
the cigar cabinet in his living room and satisfied my curiosity by showing
me how to operate it.

That experience launched a two year pestering campaign that resulted in my
father giving me an Argus C3 for my ninth birthday, on advice of his good
friend who was a newspaper staff photographer. Supplied with outdated film
from the paper, I shot like mad and learned the elements of composition
through the finder, dimly, by trial and error. Undaunted, I began processing
my own film in our basement, but without an enlarger, had to settle for
contacts of 35mm negatives!

On my thirteenth birthday, that same uncle totally surprised me with a
slightly used Rolleiflex 2.8E, which became my main camera during the high
school years. I was a subordinate staffer on the school paper, and that
GREAT instrument allowed many of my photos of campus life to become
published. Oh, the chief photographer of the paper during my freshman year
was none other than Speed Graphic-toting Bill Pierce, who went on to become
a distinguished LIFE staffer and well-known author.

My involvement with Leica happened at high school graduation, when my father
and uncle collaborated to present me with a new Leica IIIg, 50mm f/2.8 Elmar
combination. It's been all downhill from there!

BTW I still have the C3, Rollei and IIIg in my possession. My three sons
trained on the Rollei, and now two of them have their own The Rollei and
IIIg were overhauled within the past year and have re-entered occasional
service. Working again with these cameras that reflect so many pleasant
memories of my youth is such a fulfilling, almost mystical ritual.

May God bless the sensitive adults who encouraged us all as children...

Len

Replies: Reply from chandos at cox.net (Chandos Michael Brown) ([Leica] First Camera)
Reply from stasys1 at cox.net (Stasys Petravicius) ([Leica] First Camera)