Subject: [Leica] How Long After Expiration Date?
From: leirex at sbcglobal.net (David Lee)
Date: Fri Jun 3 17:57:02 2005

While we are talking about film, how long is it normally ok to develop and
print black & white film past expiration date?  I noticed some degradation
on color film which is about 6 months past expiration date.

Regards,
David

Karen Nakamura <mail@gpsy.com> wrote:

At 4:15 PM -0400 05.6.3, Lew Schwartz wrote:
>Some time ago, I caught the end of a thread in which some members
>were arguing that freezing harms film. What's the current thinking
>on this subject?

Lew -

Polaroid SX-70 type instant films shouldn't be frozen, the developing
chemicals are stored in the little pouches at the bottom that can
rupture.

But for all other films, freeze away. All of us do it. The only harm
is if mositure condensation if you take the film out of the
bag/canister before it has warmed up to room temperature. So keep the
film in the canister or in the bag/box. If you're in a really humid
area, you might want to put the box immediately in a plastic bag when
you remove it, otherwise the outside of the box might get soggy.

Karen

--
Karen Nakamura
http://www.photoethnography.com/blog/