Subject: [Leica] Which Visoflex for my M7?
From: john.o.newell at comcast.net (John O. Newell)
Date: Fri Jun 3 18:05:45 2005

Mark, you either have great patience or you are photographing things that
don't move. ;-)   I used to own and use a pile of Viso gear, but sold it all
years ago.  It was simply too slow to use, in my opinion.

For any subject that was moving, it was pretty frustrating -- my
recollection is that the time from the decision to press the shutter release
to the actual exposure was pretty lengthy, and TTL metering with the M5 (and
later M6) didn't work at all under those conditions.  Metering pretty much
required using a tripod and a static subject.

Even for static subjects on a tripod (like close-ups), it was very slow.
With an M5 or M6 (or now M7) you had to compose and focus using the Viso
with the mirror down, then shift to the camera's finder to use the meter
with the mirror up...and this was a big improvement over using it with an M3
or other meter-less body, where you had to calculate exposure adjustments
based on magnification ratios...using it was like a form of penance.

I admire your dedication, and I agree with you that the whole thing is
(still) fascinating as a demonstration of the ingenuity of the Leitz
engineers, but the system was already outdated in the 1960s and has not
become less so in the succeeding decades -- at least that's my opinion --
you are definitely entitled to your own.  From time to time I look at Viso
prices, though, and one thing is certain -- a lot of that gear now goes for
pennies on the dollar, except where collector-mania has taken over for rare
or highly sought-after lenses.  If it works for you, though, enjoy!!!

Best,
John Newell

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Which Visoflex for my M7?)