Subject: [Leica] DMR vs. Canon 20D comparison shots
From: jr at jrgeoffrion.com (JR Geoffrion)
Date: Sat Jun 4 13:15:02 2005

> I uploaded a comparison of photos taken with the same lens, a 2.8/60mm
> Macro Elmarit on the Leica DMR and the Canon 20D on:
>
> http://www.leicaphoto.net/Download/CanonVsLeica/index.html
>
> Peter

Thanks for the images! I have a few comments about the 20D vs. DMR
comparison shots.

Although both were taken with the same lens, they were shot in aperture
priority mode and in Auto WB. According to the EXIF, the DMR exposed about 1
stop more light than the 20D. As a result, shadow, highlights, color, and
details will be very different.

In addition, make sure not to be fooled by the default ACR2 settings --
which are actually "automatic" rather than "default" -- if trying to process
the raw files. ACR2 analyzes the image information and tries to "correct"
many of the raw parameters to provide a [mathematically] "improved" image.
In this particular case, the ACR2 algorithm brightens the 20D image and
darkens the DMR image (while changing shadow/highlight details).

Certain conclusions can be drawn from the images with respect to the
different metering, sharpness, etc. However, other variables should also be
taken into account (processing parameters, anti-aliasing filter strength,
raw exposure correction, workflow, white balance, DR, noise, complete
system, real life workability, etc.).

Regards,

JR Geoffrion
http://www.jrgeoffrion.com