Subject: [Leica] Leica DMR vs. Canon 20D comparison shots
From: pwerner at bluewin.ch (Peter Werner)
Date: Sun Jun 5 00:07:39 2005

Karen,

> I predict we'll start to begin choosing our digital bodies based on
> factors other than sensor density and  image quality.  The reason you
> should chose the R9/DMR over the EOS-20D will become the same reason
> you chose the R8 over the EOS-5 ten years ago. Not because of the
> superior "film" since the film was the same, but because the
> ergonomics and other mechanics were better.

May I disagree slightly?

I have not published my conclusions on my web site because I wanted
readers to draw their own conclusions rather than starting a "Leica
Glow" religious war.

But: the DMR produced beautiful colors that I personally prefer to the
20D rendition. The DMR colors are warmer and subtler, the Canon cooler
and more "aggressive". It is very much a matter of personal taste, but I
prefer the DMR colors (a bit like Kodachrome 25 vs. Ektachrome). It is
very difficult to show this difference objectively, since so much
depends on how you set the parameters during Raw conversion.

With the DMR, I generally got pleasing results right out of the camera
without need of much post processing. With the 20D I have to tweak
colors, contrast, brightness much more to get the results I like -  if I
got the result at all.

The sharpness does not differ much, the noise level at high
magnifications is very better in the DMR, but it can be noticed only at
200-300%.

For color rendition of the DMR, you can see better examples in the Leica
DMR Raw page on http://www.leicaphoto.net/Download/DMR_Raw/index.html.

Here my personal choice factors:

To sum it up, in my view the main points in favor of the DMR are

- Better viewer
- Subtler color rendition (very personal)
- Less post processing (very personal)
- Easier open-diaphragm focusing with manual focus lenses, especially in
low light or critical focus situations like macro
- Better color TFT screen, really useful for checking the results of a
shot even in bright sunlight
- open-lens TTL exposure measurement
- More ergonomical controls, lower menu depth
- Better noise characteristics
- Easier sensor cleaning
- Transmission of lens data to the camera and EXIM file.

Points in favor of the 20D:

- Price
- Smaller weight and size
- TTL flash. The DMR is fully manual in flash mode, no auto TTL flash
measurement

Peter Werner

Nakamura