Subject: [Leica] Re: Birds, tight crop - Does this work?
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Mon Jun 6 05:16:09 2005

on 6/6/05 2:09 AM, Douglas Sharp at douglas.sharp@gmx.de wrote:

> Hello all,
> I've been trying to get some more light and colour into this rather drab
> shot.
> Shooting parameters: Canon 20D + Novoflex 5,6/400mm at 5,6, ISO 800
>
> For the first time I've been using "color dodge" and some other
> paint-brush functions in PS Elements 3.0, and, to be honest, I'm not
> quite sure if it works.
> Any suggestions on how to do it better or another method would be more
> than welcome. I tried "shadow/highlight" correction but it didn't look
> right to me.
>
> Original cropped frame
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures/Tits
> Tight crop and processing
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures/Tight_crop

Doug,

IME this lighting is very difficult to work with because flare caused by the
extremely bright background washes out the color in the subject.  I'd
imagine the Novoflex would be one of the better options in this lighting
condition because it has only two air/glass interfaces but internal baffling
and blackening has a significant role too.

I think you've done as well as can be expected given the lighting, and
cropping the extraneous background helps.  Flare unfortunately keeps it from
being as colorful as it could be.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com