Subject: [Leica] Re: Voigtländer 40/1.4 (was Leica prices)
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Jun 7 11:56:03 2005

On 6/7/05 10:19 AM, "Mark Langer" <langeratcarleton@gmail.com> typed:

> As long as we are on the topic of Voigtlander lenses, who has had
> experience with the 40/1.4?  I've been wondering if I should get one
> to mount on my Minolta CLE.  Anything good or bad that someone can
> tell me that might guide my decision?
>
> Mark

Well as long as my name is on the thing and so I'm looking at it right off
then let me say that coincidently I'm a new user of the 40 Summicron which
I've got on my M6 with a Cosina Voigtl?nder finder and it's about my
favorite lens. I use it all the time. More than my 50 and more than my 35.
But this lens was invented of course for use with the CL and CLE.
It's more or less the standard lens with those cameras.
Would look and balance well.

The 1.4 is perhaps twice the size. And the CLE and it's use is all about
compactness it would sure seem to me.

I'd stay with the Leica signature if it was me. Or I was you. Or if you
thought like me.
There's an abundance of them out there and they go for cheap cheap cheap.
And they say "Wetzlar" on them what can I say?

There are filter issues but they don't bother me. It's a .75 pitch instead
of a .5. Just makes life interesting as far as I go. I took the flimsy
rubber shade off and just use an adaptor little metal thing as a shade.
I don't get flair. Or Flare.
Its the only not "Leica" but "Leitz" lens I use.
Some think "Leitz" is more Leica than Leica.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/