Subject: [Leica] Hotshoes on cameras w/out batteries
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Tue Jun 7 12:30:26 2005

On 7 Jun 2005 at 12:35, Frank F. Farmer wrote:

> 1) Cameras like the M4-P have hot shoes, but no batteries to speak of.
>  How does such a camera trigger the electrical contact on the hot
> shoe?
>
> 2) Why was this changed on the M6TTL?  Does it have to do with the TTL
> flash meter?
>
> 3) Will a "classic" M6 w/out a battery trigger a flash in its hot shoe?

For a nondedicated, single-pole flash unit like a 283, all the camera
has to do to fire the flash is close the circuit between the two
contacts on the shoe.  It's a timing issue, no more.  That's easy to
do with a mechanical switch.  (4Ps and before had multiple pc sockets
because the timing lag for a bulb flash is different from that for
electronic flash.  By the time the 6 was coming out, bulb flash was
mostly extinct so there was no need for the M sync.  A handful of the
very last 4P run had m6 top plates and rangefinders, and theydidn't
have the M-sync either.  85 or 86 production here.)

When you go into TTL or even AE flash, you've got electronic control
data being passed back and forth between the processors.  That's a
whole other set of issues... I'm guessing even the main circuit on
the M6TTL is electronically operated, just for the sake of design
simplicity.

The classic M6 has a single-contact hotshoe, as I recall; I'd bet
lots of your money that it's mechanically triggered as well.  I don't
have any convenient way to test that, though... both my bodies are
4P's.

--

R. Clayton McKee                               www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                            rcmckee@rcmckee.com