Subject: [Leica] Pet shots
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Jun 8 06:41:47 2005

Daniel Ridings offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Pet shots
> Thanks B. D., Tina, Montie[,] and Frank.
> > He'd been with us for 11 years and was never gone more than a night.<<<<

Danial,
Best bet? Don't give up hope because sometimes no matter how good you and
your family have been, cats will what seems totally illogical. Are cats ever
logical? :-) Just disappear only to return totally unscathed.

During 40 plus years of cat pets we've had two just disappear. ;-( The first
"old Puff" a pure white handsome male and as home comfy as he could be. One
early evening he was fussing whining around wanting to go out and actually
became damn annoying.

So I opened the door and in a joking manner said, "OK out you go and don't
come back!"  Not in the least meaning it because he was a wonderful pet and
family member. If you want devastation...." He didn't!" :-(

I walked the neighbourhood, left notes everywhere and small pictures in
shops and in the newspaper, all to no avail. I became a wreck and it's
something even today when it comes to mind as I write this I feel this guilt
and sorrow. Heck I didn't even say it in a cross voice. :-(

The second, just disappeared in 1988 here in Victoria without any cause, she
just went. Cat owners know "cats do their own life and allow you into theirs
when they feel like it!" :-)

About 8 months later while I was covering the Seoul Olympics she came to the
back door and did her usual scratching the door much to Irene's surprise
when she heard the noise looked out and there she was.

Rene opened the door "Angel" walked in, went to a feeding dish for one of
the other cats as though she'd never been away. She was clean, looked well
fed and obviously had been "visiting with another family." And that was it
and she never disappeared again.

Our vet offered, "Sometimes a cat, for no logical reason, will take up new
living quarters, stay there for an amount of time, then return to their
original home.

So,my friend I can only offer don't give up, he may return any time. It's
like keep the faith brother.
ted

Message from daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Pet shots)