Subject: [Leica] Hotshoes on cameras w/out batteries
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Wed Jun 8 19:50:28 2005

On 8 Jun 2005 at 22:05, Grduprey@aol.com wrote:

> Most cameras from the mid 80's on have electronic flash circuitry.

In general this is true; however, this is Leica we're talking about.
<G>

One of my m4-p bodies is the late prod model with the M6 top plate,
with single flash sync and M6 rangefinder / windows.  I can
absolutely PROMISE you it does NOT have an electronic flash circuit.

Although the M6 classic obviously had a meter and hence some
electronics, the transitional model, this 4P-6 hybrid, (780-odd of
the last thousand 4P's)  didn't.  So there was a production M6
rangefinder top assembly that fired the flash without electronics.
It seems quite possible to me that the production Classics did too.
I don't have one, and if I did I wouldn't take it apart to find
out(!) but given the speed with which Leica has historically embraced
advances in technology....

--

R. Clayton McKee                               www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                            rcmckee@rcmckee.com