Subject: [Leica] OT: Koran Desecrations at Gitmo
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli)
Date: Wed Jun 8 21:19:04 2005

On Jun 8, 2005, at 6:36 PM, Eric Ladner wrote:

> Those beliefs are not harmed or lessened by offensive treatment of the
> books that promulgate them or the flag that represents them. They are
> far stronger than that.
> I bet that if, when one of these "desecrations" occurs, everyone said,
> "Duh, what a jerk!" and got on with more important things, the
> desecrators would get bored and give up.
> --Eric (and my M3 agrees with me)

I don't think that is quite how it works. Recently on NPR they had a
muslim lady
on trying to explain why mistreatment of the Koran was so offensive to
them. If I
understood her correctly, to a muslim, the Koran may as well be a piece
of god
or Mohammed himself. To them mistreating the Koran is about the same as
if
you had a piece Jesus' hair and set it on fire.

May not make a whole lot of sense to you or me, but hey, it's their
culture.

Feli

feli2@earthlink.net                     2 + 2 = 4
www.elanphotos.com