Subject: [Leica] Traveling with Leicas
From: daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Wed Jun 8 22:14:56 2005

I hope your trip works out well with no stolen or lost items.

I chose about the same strategy as yours, taking digital _and_ 40 rolls
of b/w film, for about the same reasons. As it turned out I managed to
offload all the CF-cards and never worked my way through spare
batteries. So I ended up only taking two rolls of film.

For the second time in a row my Gossen Digiflash meter didn't work in
the hot humid climate of Tanzania. It doesn't just quit, but it starts
overexposing by about two stops. I had an old Luna Pro with me and it
kept working just fine. I don't know what gets to the Digiflash; the
heat or the humidity. But I definitely find it unreliable in climate
conditions approaching the extreme.

The film went through countless checks since I passed through three
countries. The ones I've processed don't show a sign of being affected.
I just make sure I take it in carry-on and don't check it in. Even the
local airport (not just a rumor) explains that the scanning done on
check-in baggage _will_ ruin film.

Stay safe!
Daniel