Subject: [Leica] Gray card not 18% Erwin
From: tim at KairosPhoto.com (Timothy Atherton)
Date: Fri Jun 10 09:57:02 2005

Or there is this.

As I recall, the standard used for light meters works out at something like
12.5 or 13% grey - or something like that....

"the 18% thing is a photographic urban legend, nothing more. No light meter
was ever factory calibrated to 18% reflectance. Meter makers use the ANSI
Standard which works out to about 12.5%, or 1/2 stop less reflectance than
18%.
The Kodak Gray Card, 1999 revision, contains correct instructions for its
use. I know because I wrote those instructions after being hired by Kodak,
and did considerable research on the subject.
You can read more in the book I co-authored, The Hand Exposure Meter Book."
Bob Shell, former editor of Shutterbug Magazine

(go down to meters and colour balance:)
http://www.kinesisgear.com/opinion.html