Subject: [Leica] Pushing Provia F400--one stop, two stops
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Sun Jun 12 00:15:24 2005

Mark Rabiner wrote:

But as stupid "pushing" often seems to me it's "pulling" that really gets
me.
Over exposure = death when it comes to quality black and white image making.
And all "pulling" is is over exposing with a smug attitude.
:)?

---------

I've  been wondering the same thing. In the Film Developing Cookbook, A&T
state that with 135 format film, the best one can do is to provide the
least
possible exposure and least amount of development to capture the desired
shadow
detail.   Printable on grade 3 paper, IIRC.

Dunno, but I scan my film and the desirabiliyt of a thinner negative
makes ample
sense to me.

But all over the web one can hear folks recommending juicing up TriX @
ISO 200 or HP5+ @ 160. I recall some of the APUG folks even recommending
over exposing *and* over developing, claiming that many of the official
times were
too short (I almost always find them too long).  Go figure.

BTW, I finally think I might have found a happy (i.e., reasonably sharp
but safe
and contrast taming) soup for FP4+. Acutol 1:15 7m 10s, 45 sec agitation
and then
1 inversion every 2 minutes starting at 2m, water stop.

Completely off topic and irrelevant, but I had to tell someone. If it
helps, my first
roll in this soup was taken with an M6TTL and 28/2 :-)

Scott

Replies: Reply from mail at steveunsworth.co.uk (Steve Unsworth) ([Leica] Pushing Provia F400--one stop, two stops)