Subject: [Leica] Does anyone here shoot with the 180/3.4 APO-Telyt?
From: john.o.newell at comcast.net (John O. Newell)
Date: Sun Jun 12 11:38:18 2005

I have both a later 180/3.4 APO-Telyt (the E60 version) and the last Nikkor
180/2.8 ED mf lens.

Both are highly satisfactory lenses.  My experience with the 180 APO has
been that while it's clearly a 9.5/10 lens, it doesn't seem to have the
final degree of 3D imaging that I get from, for example the 100/2.8 APO
Macro.  I've never sat down to compare highly enlarged images from the two,
but my impression has been that they render approximately equal images.

Two things strongly in favor of the Leitz 180/3.4 are:

1.  it is a real bargain on the used market today for the quality of the
image it produces

2.  it is a very easy lens to use and carry unless you really need the 2.8
aperture (and the related weight and bulk).

If you want a 180 for a Leica reflex and don't need the 2.8 speed, this lens
is in my opinion a no-brainer.

John Newell