Subject: [Leica] SR-71 at the Smithsonian...and a shot at the end just forTed. :)
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sun Jun 12 17:54:19 2005

Thanks Vick. I was told that much of the Blackbird was designed using
analytical techniques rather than computational solutions to the
partial differential equations. Not long afterward computers became
fast enough to be significantly useful. The difference in computer
speed between the US and the Soviet Union continued to diverge - so
there was a lot of work done in Russia on formal analytical techniques
that was not pursued in the US simply because you didn't need to do
that way - brute force worked just fine. This was also especially true
for plasma physics.

I'd recommend an excellent book: "Sled Driver Flying the World's
Fastest Jet" by Brian Shul. ISBN 0-929823-09-7.

It may be out of print. Interesting text and great images.

Adam

On 6/12/05, Vick Ko <vick.ko@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Beautiful shots of the most curvaceous plane that was previously in the
> US arsenal.
>
> I admire that Kelly slammed that plane together without modern
> computing, and despite all the government "help" that comes ultra-secret
> projects.
>
> Regards,
>
> Vick Ko
://leica-users.org/mailman/listinfo/lug for more information

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] A PAWeekend -)
Message from vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko) ([Leica] SR-71 at the Smithsonian...and a shot at the end just forTed. :))