Subject: [Leica] Re: SR-71 at the Smithsonian...
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli)
Date: Mon Jun 13 01:09:55 2005

On Jun 12, 2005, at 9:12 PM, Andrew Nemeth wrote:

> Another book I'd recommend is "Skunk Works" by Ben R. Rich & Leo Janos
> ISBN 0-7515-1503.  It has a _lot_ on the SR-71 (Chapts 9-12).  One of
> the more amusing facts is that most of the Titanium used to make the
> thing was sourced, via back CIA channels, from the then Soviet Union!
>
> The Ruskies dug it up and, after a bit of processing, the Yanks flew
> it back... :?)

I used to work in the old Skunk Works building in Burbank, California,
which of all companies in the world was taken over by Disney, and
became "Disney Feature Animation North Side". The Skunk Works building
is where the SR-71, U2, FA-117 and god knows what else was designed.

Before Disney took the building over, it reportedly had no windows and
was completely covered with a silver metal plating. Basically a giant
metal cube. Some of the plating remains, today. Supposedly the original
interior was setup to funnel anyone wandering around, to various
checkpoints. You couldn't just get lost and stumble in to some place by
accident, since movement was restricted.

When the building was refurbished the exterior walls were knocked out
and replaced with glass. The building is now completely open. The
ceilings aren't flat, but consist of a 2 foot deep, concrete honey comb
pattern.  Some of the walls on the ground floor appear to be at least 5
ft thick, solid concrete. The building itself is 4 or 5 stories tall
(can't remember exactly how many). Supposedly there are several floors
below, but again I never got a chance to verify if that was true.

Even with the new exterior walls being glass, it was impossible for me
to use my cell phone. I would have to leave the building and go about
100 yards away from it to get a clear signal. Same for radio and TV
reception (I have a small portable LCD TV I use to watch breaking
news). Rumor had it that the building incorporated a certain amount of
radio shielding, due to the sensitive nature of the work being done
there.

The ground surrounding and under the building is contaminated with with
jet and rocket fuel and they are using a ventilation system to 'clean'
it up. The contamination probably originated from the Burbank airport
across the street.

feli

feli2@earthlink.net                     2 + 2 = 4
www.elanphotos.com