Subject: [Leica] Erwin's Latest
From: gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO)
Date: Mon Jun 13 13:55:08 2005

Scott McLoughlin writes in part:

> Well, I imagine that many of the photogs of days of yore were
> using the best equipment/lenses available to them (or to their
> budgets).
>
> But so what?  After what I perceive to be a many decades long mad
> dash toward better and better optics - a good fast 50, better coatings
> and flare control, decent wides with minimum distortion, ever better
> corner-to-corner resolution, nuance such as the color rendition of
> Zeiss lenses and coatings, better contrast - blah blah and on and on
> and on.
>
> Why in the hell should such a quest end now? Why should we
> believe that photogs shouldn't or don't really care anymore? Because
> Canon/Nikon are doing well pushing the umpteenth version of the
> moderate wide-to-short tele "fast" f2.8 zoom? Is it because a lens
> designed for and built to tight tolerances is too pricey to sell at
> Best Buy or even the local "pro photo" shop with today's labor
> prices?  Who knows?

I've seen nothing that suggests that the quest has changed except for the
odd post on the Lug. People still want the best image quality that they can
afford
not-with-standing some of the stuff you read here. Assertions in the past on
the Lug to the effect that a coke bottle's bottom would give the same
digital image quality as
the best available lenses have proven to have been just so much hot air, as
will the
any camera/glass is good enough chant.

Regards,

Greg