Subject: [Leica] Re: Erwin's Latest
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Jun 13 22:48:07 2005

On 6/13/05 10:25 PM, "Montie Talbert" <montoid@earthlink.net> typed:

>> I think B.D. hit the nail on the head- getting"a
>> meaningful image". After taking a class in the History
>> of Photography I came away with that conclusion.
>> The photogs were not using the equip that we have
>> available- and they made impressive images. Stasys
>
>> On Jun 13, 2005, at 7:22 AM, B. D. Colen wrote:
>> As to the comments about the Canon lenses -
>
>> It's not that photographers won't "notice," it's that real
>> photographers know it just doesn't matter - what matters
>> is getting a meaningful image, not the technical accomplishment
>> of getting the woof and weave in the pants someone in the shot
>> is wearing. And that's true even if one is shooting birds or bats
>> or flowers - unless one is doing the shooting as part of
>> scientific research. ;-)
>
> I think B.D. missed the nail and hit his thumb!  "Real
> photographers" know that it DOES matter!!  It's all
> about choices as today we have "tools" available to meet
> just about any imaging requirement imaginable. The "Real
> photographer" selects the appropriate gear to match the
> subject, assignment, or theme at hand.  If I'm a product,
> advertising, fashion, or commercial photog who wants (or needs)
> to get the "woof and weave in the pants someone is wearing"
> I know that today I can do that, and when my prints are done,
> I seriously doubt they would qualify as "scientific research",
> hopefully just a happy client.  If I'm a fine art guy, maybe just
> a pin hole body cap on my nikkormat might suffice for the
> "meaningful image" I'm after.  The Point?  The science and
> engineering of photographic tools has evolved to create a vast
> arsenal and many, many more choices...and that's a good thing!
>
> Montie

It's not as if we've not been through this 10 days ago and a week before
that and a few weeks before that for years.
BD feels threatened by people talking on the Leica users group about how
much they value their Leicas. And BD is our number one poster by far.
It's very much what has made this list shaky as of late.
People come on here and they can't imagine what's going on.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/