Subject: [Leica] Re: Erwin's Latest
From: bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Tue Jun 14 07:38:28 2005

First off, B. D. doesn't feel "threatened" by people talking about how much
they love their Leicas, or anything else. If Mark R. would return from Mars
for 15 minutes he'd recall that I have said over and over and over that a
camera is nothing but a tool, and everyone should use the tool that best
suits their work. So why would I feel "threatened" by anyone loving
anything?

As to giving up all modern equipment if doing so would turn one into HCB -
I'd give up digital, aspheric lenses, etc. etc. in a heartbeat if doing so
would make me a better photographer. Period. And, if by some bizarre chance
digital disappeared tonight, I'd be back to nothing but film tomorrow with
nary a tear shed; I've adapted digital because it's the present and future
of mainstream photography, not because I wasn't comfortable, or competent,
with film.

But even more to the original point of this thread - and of my comment about
people noticing the image, not the razor-like quality of the optic - the
comments about HCB prove my point: by today's standards, he was using crap
equipment for the bulk of his career, yet I've never heard anyone say, 'ah,
poor Henri. He might actually have been good had he been able to use Leica
MPs and the Aspheric lens lineup!' The reality is that today's Canon, Nikon,
and, yes, Olympus Zooms are, by and large, optically superior to the lenses
HCB used for most of his career - even if they aren't as good as Leica M
aspherical beauties. It still comes down to the image - the elements that
make up the photo, that draw people to it, that bring the viewer
information, that inspire the viewer to think.