Subject: [Leica] Re: Erwin's Latest
From: FELIXMATURANA at telefonica.net (Félix López de Maturana)
Date: Tue Jun 14 14:31:05 2005

>We don't all have the concepts or the eye of the masters but we can improve
>our pictures - or at least reduce the second- or third-order weaknesses -
>by >paying attention to the other factors that make up a good photograph.
>If the equipment truly doesn't matter we might as well be using a Yashica
>or Ricoh >and have more money in our pockets for other toys.  If the
>quality of the equipment does make a difference, even if it's a third-order
>factor, then a >photo with a good concept, good lighting, good composition
>and good technique made with a good camera will be stronger than the same
>photo made with a >plastic disposable.  We're looking at one variable here,
>the equipment, and assuming the others are held constant.

Doug

This is true, but not the whole  truth. I'm not taking pictures in the
same way I did fifty years ago when I started learning with my father
with the Super Ikonta I see in front of me in the bookshelf.. I hope
I've learn more than a little viewing masters pictures -even viewing
pictures in the LUG-, viewing lots of paints hung in the museums for the
composition and, above all,  shooting lots of pictures -many, many
thousands- and analyzing the results. All this has nothing to do with
the right tools. After achieving this learning some  improved tools may
improve the picture but, IMHO, not very much. Better sharpness, better
bokeh, less vignetting a more clear and bright image improve some
physical aspects of the picture but I consider much more important the
human and artistic development of the photographer.

If not any stupid rich man may buy the best equipment -mostly Leica- and
consider himself as *real photographer* instead of making many years of
strong efforts of improving in composition, color, subjects study, light
essays and many other matter of study that with the indispensable talent
make a Photographer.

Regards

Felix