Subject: [Leica] tape and film: was Kodak, Ilford, Agfa
From: masonster at gmail.com (David Mason)
Date: Wed Jun 15 09:27:53 2005

This past weekend I was at a conference for recording engineers. There
was an announcement that there is a new company that will be
manufacturing tape for old multitrack reels - the companies that had
been making this tape for so long have dropped production of it in the
last few years. There were large cheers in the crowd when this
announcement was made since people have been scrounging for extra
stock but still 'not new' reels.  I immediately thought of film.

It seems to me that film users will go through a similar experience as
the manufacturers reorganize and try to figure out the business. I
figure its just a matter of the large companies trying to figure out
how they can survive as a company somewhat near their current size
with new technologies and for smaller companies to figure out how big
the market for film is and how they can fulfill the need.

Perhaps there are some differences since there are more cameras in the
world but I find it a good parallel.

Dave

Replies: Reply from p_intern at bellsouth.net (Allen Graves) ([Leica] tape and film: was Kodak, Ilford, Agfa)