Subject: [Leica] Mark's Parade Experience
From: jplaurel at spectare.com (Jim Laurel)
Date: Wed Jun 15 15:43:21 2005

I just resubscribed to the LUG after an extended absence and Mark's post
about his experience at the parade was one of the first I ran into.  I think
we had some similar discussions a while back and it seemed like the LUG,
like the rest of the USA divided into two extreme camps:  Those who see
these things as a dangerous trends, and those who live in such fear of
terrorism that they are willing to accept any curtailment of their freedoms
in exchange for an illusion of security.

For those of us who have spent a lot of time traveling in countries ruled by
ruthless dictatorships, experiences like Mark's are especially frightening,
because we have seen for ourselves where it all ends up when a country stays
on this course.

Cheers - Jim Laurel