Subject: [Leica] Re: darkroom focusing
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Jun 15 23:52:47 2005

> Some lenses I've had or used that have had focus shift problems:
> Various 50mm f/2.8 Rodagons of different eras (all)
> 50mm f/2.8 Componons - same
> 40mm Focotar
> 240 Componon
> 150 Rodagons and Componons of various ages
> 75 Nikkor
> 50/2.8 Nikkor
> 105 Rodagon (slight)
> WA Componon 60
>

> Lenses that have negligible or no focus shift:
> Nikkor 80/5.6
> Nikkor 63
> Focotar 50 (second)
> S-Orthoplanar 60

I've never been able to detect any focus shift with most of the Nikors which
I've used and two or three of the Componon. I'm wondering how Henning is
deciding he's getting focus shift as take his recommendations pretty
seriously. I pretty much think it's a myth for the most part.
I strongly recommend focusing wide open and then stop down to your working
aperture. I'd hate to have this stuff driving me crazy.
Focusing stopped down just seems very weird to me.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/