Subject: [Leica] Lenses and grain
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Jun 15 23:59:09 2005

On 6/15/05 11:07 AM, "Adam Bridge" <abridge@gmail.com> typed:

> Of course someone could actually do some science using the same film,
> a camera on a tripod, a defined test image, and a variety of lenses
> both old and new designs. A roll of film or two....
>
> Adam

The appearance of grain in a print has much to do with the tweaking of the
contrast of that print.
Jack up the contrast of a print and you've jacked up the grain.

I've used less contrast with certain prints just because I didn't like what
was happening to the grain. Otherwise I would have went with a higher
contrast.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon