Subject: [Leica] Spam Re: Erwin's Latest
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli)
Date: Thu Jun 16 00:26:41 2005

I had a similar experience. When I was about 14, three friends and I
went on a week long
bike trip from Munich to the Bodensee. We didn't have a lot of cash, so
we planned on camping by the side of the road and cooking our own food.
  We decided on a menu, which included some canned meats. Well, it
turned out that when everyone went shopping separately, pretty much all
we bought was SPAM, Vienna sausages, deviled ham, nuts, raisins and
Nutella (chocolate - hazelnut spread. 200 cal per 2 tbs. 100 cal from
fat!). That's what we lived on for 7-10 days. I remember eating pan
fried SPAM by the slab, between thick slices of that delicious German
bread, with the thick, hard crust. Sometimes an egg from a farmer,
often raw. That bread is amazing. It's like wheat-crack; you just can't
stop eating it. I think that may have been the last time I had a piece
of SPAM...

feli

On Jun 16, 2005, at 12:12 AM, Daniel Ridings wrote:

> In the sixties when our family returned to the states for my father's
> stint in Japan (Air Force), he bought a Rambler station-wagon (we were
> five kids, I was the oldest,  about 12 or 13).
>
> Anyway, the Rambler broke down in Lovelock, Nevada and we had to send
> away for parts. This was back in the days before plastic money and we
> didn't have a lot of cash on us. Living in a motel room for a week was
> not part of the projected budget.
>
> So to keep costs down we ate a lot of SPAM; spread mustard on it with
> chewing-gum sticks.
>
> Still can't get anyone in the family to touch the stuff again. We're
> all spammed out.
>
> Daniel
feli2@earthlink.net                     2 + 2 = 4
www.elanphotos.com