Subject: [Leica] Run on Leica R lenses :-)
From: director at ubi.edu (Lucien)
Date: Thu Jun 16 10:26:39 2005

nathan.wajsman@planet.nl wrote :

> Peter,
>
> I have tried the DMR, at last year's Photokina, and found it to be a
> disaster from an ergonomic point of view. To put my eye close to the
> viewfinder I had to squish my mouth against the DMR. Your results are
> nice, but I do not see that they are superior to Canon DSLRs. Issues
> like colour rendition can be handled during RAW conversion.

Hi Nathan,

I have used extensively a 20D and a 1D Mark II mainly with Leica
lenses and some Canon lenses in the same situations I was using the
R8 and R9 in the past. Mainly on stage photography with tripods and
reportage  in the wings, both available light.

IMO, the ergonomic of the R8/R9 is much better than Canon's.

As an example, let say you want to change metering from multi pattern
to spot.

It will take 1/2 second on the R9 (without removing you eye from the
finder), several on the Mark II, no spot on the 20D.

To change a lens is also quicker and safer on a Leica.

Almost everything is on the right place.

In the dark, it make a big difference.

I also had the possibility to play with the DMR four times (no
pictures) since September last year.

IMO again, the digital part is also much more intuitive to use than
on the Canon.

> I really think that Leica is wasting time and money on the DMR. It is
> not going to be competitive in the market, when it costs more than the
> Canon 1D Mark II.

I was thinking the same before using the Canon Mark II.

Now I'm not sure anymore. If the results are as good with the Leica,
I may switch to it.

And don't forget Nikon (okay, they don't work with Leica lenses).

The ergonomic, flash system, and autofocus in low light of the Nikon
D2X, D2H and F6 are way better.

  IMO, the ergonomic of the Canon 1D series is lagging years behind.

What Canon does the best are the CMOS, Digic II and noise reduction.
There, they are really impressive.

But the ergonomic ?

Best,

Lucien