Subject: [Leica] PS Re: Black-tailed Hare
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sun Jun 19 21:33:33 2005

on 6/19/05 7:47 PM, Adam Bridge at abridge@gmail.com wrote:

> How close were you when you snapped this, Doug and how did you get there?

>> http://wildlightphoto.com/mammals/lagomorphs/btha01.html

I don't recall the distance, but this isn't cropped much at all.  Probably
within 20'.  I've been developing my approach technique.  These BTHA are
tough critters!!  I certainly haven't perfected the technique with this
species but I've seen some progress.

OTOH Cooper's Hawk (COHA) are a LOT easier.  I located a nest site and hang
out within a hundred yards or so.  First day, they make like they're going
to attack (I keep a hat on, and my head close to a dense tangle of
branches).  The second day they come check me out, make a half-hearted pass
at my head, then ignore me.  The third day they ignore me, period.  I keep
the hat on just in case.  COHA film at the lab :-)

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com