Subject: [Leica] Preparing for the "prom"
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Mon Jun 20 09:14:49 2005

In Sweden, and probably many other countries around here, the "junior
high school" is from grades 7 (sometimes 6) to grade 9. Once you leave
grade 9, you are starting to go out into the world. You have to apply
to get into high school (just about everyone makes it) but if your
grades aren't good enough, you might not get into the high school
(gymnasium) that you want. Something like college.

Anyway, it's a fairly big deal to finish 9th grade. The last week
there is a ball (not a prom, but basically the same thing with formal
dress etc). It's a happy, yet slightly sad occasion. It's the last
time the whole class will ever be gathered. Some of these kids have
been together since day-care center days.

Anyway ... this "prom". I missed it since it happened when I was away.
But the preparations start long in advance. Ewa sewed the gown, she
practised make-up ... time and time again (not to mention the shoes,
shoes -- that took weeks).

http://gallery.leica-users.org/album13/05v23_0004

and sewing the gown:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Square-stuff/05v23_0007

In the lower left-hand corner of the Rollei shot you'll see a very
typical flaw in the design of Rolleis. If the shot before has a lot of
bright sky in the upper half (that's where the sky tends to end up),
the light reflects off of the chrome roller bar that the film travels
over and reflects into the next frame, ruining it. Happens on every
Rollei I've used (2 Rolleicords and 2 Rolleiflexes).

Best,
Daniel

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Preparing for the "prom")