Subject: [Leica] You do make backups, don't you?
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Wed Jun 22 00:49:03 2005

Yesterday, as I was scanning a couple of negs to illustrate something
on another list, lightening struck out of a clear blue sky.

Well, ok, it wasn't clear blue. A thunderstorm approached, I pulled
out all the plugs (learned a lesson from 2002 when the whole house got
zapped) and waited at least an hour or an hour and a half when I was
sure that it had gone over I started working again.

After 20 minutes ... BAM! Computer got zapped (I'm hoping it's only
the power supply and that the disks can be salvaged), printer got
zapped ... Nikon LS-5000 made it ok.

It was an old computer, no big deal. I was going to upgrade this
weekend anyway. I have backups of just about everything. I might have
trouble finding my original serial number for Vuescan and ACDSee, but
otherwise I think I'm ok.

DVD's make it easier to backup. "Easier" because it's less of a pain.
I also had the external USB disk (that wasn't hooked up). Keep making
that backups. Things will go wrong at some point.

Daniel

Replies: Reply from rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] You do make backups, don't you?)
Reply from ruben at rhodos.dk (Ruben) ([Leica] You do make backups, don't you?)