Subject: [Leica] Where to go?
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sun Jun 26 06:52:45 2005

Yes, they are all interesting in different ways. However, if Craig wants
to do a lot of street photography, then these places are not all equal.
My own experience is that people in Warsaw and other ex-Communist
countries tend to be a bit suspicious--old habits die hard. On the other
hand, those countries are far cheaper than Western Europe.

Personally, I find that Spain is the easiest place to photograph people.
  They tend to be open and friendly, and it is easy to strike up a
conversation before or after taking the picture (obviously easier if you
speak Spanish, knowledge of foreign languages is not that widespread in
Spain). The city I know best is Seville and can highly recommend it. If
you rent a car, you are only 4-5 hours away from Lisbon, another
wonderful destination for photography--I find it to be one of the most
photogenic cities in Europe. The other nice thing about Spain (and
Portugal) is that although you are facing the same unfavorable Euro/$
exchange rate, the general price level is considerably lower than in
places like Germany, France, the Netherlands or the UK.

I almost forgot: Amsterdam is a great city for street photography too,
and you are welcome to stop by and help me drink my Father's Day present :-)

Nathan