Subject: [Leica] Information on the Summarit, from those who repair or have had one repaired?
From: sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner)
Date: Sun Jun 26 07:49:04 2005

Hello Vick:

With the greatest respect, you do not want to clean your Summarit yourself.
Disassembly is not the problem, it is reassembly. More important even is
cleaning the glass surfaces. Yes, the lens dates from the era of potential
marring of the coating.

Send it to John Van Stelten. He will clean it with no harm to the glass
surfaces and coating and has the capability to recoat if he thinks it
necessary. And his recoating will be current technology that will be less
easy to mark with a wipe.

He CLA'd a DR Summicron for me that was really grungy and had pretty bad
fungus growing on lens surfaces. It came back in remarkable condition though
the fungus had been so bad that it left very slight etching at a couple of
spots on the perimeter of one of the lens elements - had absolutely no
effect on images - and opf course he could not remove the  bright spots on
the chrome mounts.

Seth