Subject: [Leica] Thoughts on the ZI rangefinder
From: York915 at msn.com (Stephen York)
Date: Wed Jun 29 17:57:02 2005

For what its worth, the new Zeiss Ikon lenses are said to have excellent
build quality.  This should be some reflection on the quality of the camera.

I really do believe -- and I'll sound like a broken record here -- that the
essentially high eye-point viewfinder will appeal to many.  I have heard of
a lot of folks who, although they liked the eye relief of the 0.58 M, just
could not get use to the smaller image entailed in that model.  Some dealers
have told me that is a common refrain among many customers.  This is not
even to mention the longer rangefinder base of the ZI.

Also, Leica rangefinder bodies have gone up drastically in price in the last
several years.  After July 1, Leica may have effectively priced itself out
of competition.  I don't think that the ZI has to have a build quality of a
Leica M7 or MP to sell; it just has to be very good quality, because it will
be about 50% the cost of a Leica M.

There is a question in my mind as what is the potential market for a new
film rangefinder.  Have new Leica Ms not been selling well, because there
are few customers for a film rangefinder, or have they not been selling
well, because their just too expensive?  I believe the market will be good,
because it is priced right (about $1600 US); not exactly chump change but
inexpensive in Leica terms.  It also have improvements over the M (e.g.,
viewfinder, longer rangefinder base) to entice a Leica M owner to add an
additional body.

But as we say where I live, the proofs in the pudding.  It has to have good
build quality and there has got to be no significant glitches with the
camera.  We'll see.