Subject: [Leica] Re:where oh where is the DMR now Canon
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Wed Jun 29 20:43:26 2005

Stephen,

It is not as simple as more megapixels. The decision to get into one
camera system or another involves a significant investment in lenses. Of
course, for some organizations or wealthy photographers this may not
matter, but for most organizations and private individuals (whether pro
or amateur) it does. I currently have 4 Canon lenses and 2 Leica lenses
which I use on my Canon 20D. None of these could be used on a Nikon
body. Indeed, I made the choice for Canon precisely because it allows me
to use Leica lenses with an adapter, while the Nikon bodies do not.

I certainly hope that Canon's dominance does not become too entrentched.
Competition is a good thing. I hope that Nikon, Minolta, Pentax, Olympus
and others continue to develop their DSLR lines, thus pushing Canon to
improve its offerings as well. And yes, I hope (note, I said "hope", not
"believe") that Leica's DMR becomes a runaway success so that the
company has the resources to develop the digital M.

Nathan

--
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands