Subject: [Leica] the DMR has landed
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard)
Date: Thu Jun 30 03:23:41 2005

I think the main thing is, despite all the bitching and moaning about this
and that with Leica, and how incompetent they are etc. etc. generally they
don't produce crap.

Sure one can argue who the heck wants a macro Elmar 90/4, or even a 'cron
75/2 in 2005. Or that the quality is no longer there, nee' the dusty MP
viewfinder etc. etc.

But the fact of the matter is, Leica stuff works, and works well. Sure,
MP/M7 is may be no more than 10% improvement, if that (some may argue none
or worse) over a M3, so you can wonder aloud what the heck Leica has been
doing the last 50 years... and I wonder about that too :-)

But, it can be pretty safe to assume that the DMR and the M digital, if it
ever comes, will work, and work quite well. The fact is, given the limit of
the technology, they push it. They don't push the limit of the
technologies, that's a different thing. So Digilux 2 is by all account, a
great 5 MP camera with that size sensor. The MP/M7 is as good as they can
get w/o changing the shutter, size, or whatever. Even the hunchbacks of
Solm have their fans.

I have the 35/1.4ASPH, 50/1.4ASPH, and the 90/2AA. I know that when I take
that shot on the M7, if I compose right and set the exposure correctly etc.
the camera and lens will not fail me. I can shoot at 1.4. I am the weakest
link. It feels good to have a camera system like that.

use richard at imagecraft.com)

Replies: Reply from dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] the DMR has landed)
Message from pwerner at bluewin.ch (Peter Werner) ([Leica] the DMR has landed)
Message from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] the DMR has landed)