Subject: [Leica] DMR Sold!!
From: geebee at geebeephoto.com (GeeBee)
Date: Thu Jun 30 14:10:36 2005

A few years ago I bought a used Noctilux from a retail outlet here in the UK
after seeing the lens advertised on their web site. I paid by credit card
over the phone and they took my money the day I phoned. After a few weeks,
lots of phone calls, all unanswered in the latter stages, it slowly dawned
on me that I had been had.

Dave Morton, a Leica shooter on IRC chat, advised me to contact the Office
of Fair Trading which I did and they sent me a couple of leaflets about the
law and buyers rights.

In a nutshell this is the law in the UK. If you buy something by remote
means using a credit card the contract is between the seller and the credit
card company. I wrote to my credit card company and filled in a form
detailing the transaction together with a copy of my letter to the seller
stating that I wanted a full refund. I signed an undertaking to reimburse my
credit card company should the lens or a refund eventually turn up and they
then refunded my money in full and presumably went after the seller.

Neither lens or refund turned up from the seller. The Office of Fair
Trading, who I kept informed throughout, closed his web site (notice posted
on his web site to that effect) and I used the refund to buy a Noctilux from
somewhere else.

If I had lost that money I would be a richer man today :-)

--Graham