Subject: [Leica] Re:where oh where is the DMR now Canon
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Jun 30 15:02:33 2005

On 6/30/05 5:35 PM, "Stephen York" <York915@msn.com> typed:

> I believe that may be one of the legacies of the digital era -- quick
> turnover
> on what is the "in" camera.  I guess shortly Nikon will come with a new
> digital camera w/ more megapixels or whatever and everybody will want
> those.
> You can tell I don't know anything about digital technology, but I think
> you
> can get what I'm driving at.

This is the part of Canon users mentality which I've not seen in Leica
fanaticism or Nikon or other users obsessiveneses.
That their camera is the only one which exits period. In the market,
situation, area -  whatever.
There is not competition because other cameras simply do not exist in the
market: except Canon.

Here the implication that "agencies" which we find here to be stock agencies
use specific brands of cameras. Which I strongly doubt to be the case
although I've never done stock. And that that brand of camera is in the case
of Getty and "most new agencies" is of course CANON.
As if if you sent them a jpeg or NEF even from a Nikon they would summarily
reject it on those grounds.
Kind of like saying no to money. Always a popular business policy.

I went on the Getty site by the way and could find no mention of "Canon".
I'm sure if I looked and looked I'd find some tie in somewhere. I'm sure
some business deal has been made. Both their names are on some contest or
another.

"the D70 is totally defeated by Canon"
Cameras don't defeat each other.
People take pictures with them.
Should Canon come out with a camera which some nicer features than the D70
at perhaps the same price point pros and very serious photogs don't consider
their tool of choice to then be no then longer viable. "Defeated".
This is camera traders thinking.
Not camera USERS,
Not camera COLLECTORS.
But camera TRADERS.

Trade in their entire Nikon system for a Canon system this year. As their
camera had been DEFEATED.
In most cases a shooter will assume and assume right that the next Nikon in
the months or a year to come will match and surpass features and specs with
this particular Canon. (and then the year following it will leapfrog back
again)

But there are those who trade whole systems back and forth.
But then that's what they DO! Ask to see their pictures.

(I was going to say that's what they DO do!)
    But then my whole argument goes down the tubes.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/

Replies: Reply from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] Re:where oh where is the DMR now Canon)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Re:where oh where is the DMR now Canon)