Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 30, Issue 98
From: langeratcarleton at gmail.com (Mark Langer)
Date: Tue Jul 5 08:34:44 2005

Mike,

The Ikonta A, B and C  (for 4.5x6, 6x6 or 6x9 negs) with Tessar lenses
are sturdy and reliable cameras with a viewfinder.  Like all Zeiss
cameras, they are prone to Zeiss bumps.  Among the rangefinder Zeiss
cameras, I'd suggest that you go either for the Mess Ikonta, which has
an uncoupled rangefinder, or  for a coupled rangefinder the Super
Ikonta B, BX (a B with meter), or the more compact postwar Super
Ikonta III or IV.  Zeiss folders before 1948 will have uncoated
lenses.  Those after have coated lenses.

The non-rangefinder  Voigtlander Perkeo II with the Color Skopar lens
is a real favourite of mine.  A similar but cheaper camera is the
postwar Bessa 66 -- if you can get one with the coated Color Skopar,
it will be much cheaper than the Perkeo.  Great and incredibly compact
cameras.  The 6x9 Bessa II with either the Color Skopar or Color
Heliar lens is a great camera -- much better than the Super Ikonta C
IMHO.  But check carefully for front standard rigidity before buying
one of these.

I have great respect for the Agfa lenses - particularly the 4 element
Solinar, but find that the camera are among the most trouble prone of
the common folders.  An Isolette III or Record III is a nice uncoupled
rangefinder camera, even
with the cheaper three element Apotar.

For 4.5x6, the Zenobia tends to be a bargain.  Others have recommended
the Welmy, but I haven't had a chance to use one.

Prewar Certos and Weltas with the uncoated 80mm f2.8 Schneider Xenar
or Zeiss Tessar are great bargains -- this is basically the same lens
as on the Super Ikonta B for a fraction of the price.  I prefer the
Welta to the Certo as the Welta has a body shutter release and seems
better constructed.

Lots of people have good things to say about the early Mamiya 6
folder, and the early Konica 120 rangefinders are rare and desirable.
I haven't had experience with either.  I have used an Olympus 6x6, and
they are well-built tanks.  Even the accessory shoe looks like it
would weight half a pound.  And I have a special fondness for the
Ansco Titan, which looks much like an early basic Isolette, but has
real leather covering instead of the Agfa fabric, real leather bellows
instead of the synthetic Agfa bellows, and comes with heavy chrome
plate, rather than the fragile Agfa nickel plate.  The camera is a
class act.

Mark